On August 9, more than 100 people from the NEKLS region gathered to conduct the 2018 Annual Meeting and Assembly. Here are a few photos of the day.
2018 State of the System
Annual Business Meeting
During the business meeting, 69 representatives voted. The 2019 System Budget was approved. Here is a copy of the 2019 System Plan and Budget Estimate.
Six people were elected (or re-elected) to serve on the Executive Board. They are:
- Kathleen Flanagan, Atchison County Representative
- Robert Miller, Johnson County Representative
- Carolyn Little, Shawnee County Representative
- Dr. Alan Bearman, At-Large Academic Representative
- Nancy Keith, At-Large Representative
- Kimberlie Pelsma, At-Large Schools Representative
Also during the business meeting, the following officers were announced:
- Sean Bird, President
- Brandy Robben, Vice-President
- Emily Burgdorf, Secretary
- Sarah Walker-Hitt, Treasurer
Retiring Executive Board members were recognized and thanked. They included; Thad Hartman, Shawnee County and Carol Levers-President, Wyandotte County.
Volunteer Recognition Ceremony
Each year, we take time to honor some outstanding volunteers who share their time with NEKLS libraries, and with their communities. This year the selection committee chose to honor six volunteers from five libraries. Nominating libraries received a small grant to thank them for fostering excellent volunteerism in their communities.
Super Volunteers included:
- George and JoAnn Kautz, Atchison Public Library
- Patricia Welicky, Bonner Springs City Library
- Jill Strahm, Mary Cotton Public Library, Sabetha
- Lynn Drake, Overbrook Public Library
- Carol Wills, Pomona Community Library
The NEKLS staff and executive board recognizes and appreciates the contributions of hundreds of volunteers at public, school and academic libraries throughout our region.
Continuing Education Assembly
Assembly featured a presentation and discussion Exploring Free Speech in an Information-Overloaded World. The thought-provoking session was facilitated by Dr. James Walther, Assistant Professor at Emporia State University’s School of Library and Information Management (SLIM).
Here are some resources from Dr. Walther.
- Library Meeting Rooms for All
- Meeting Rooms: An Interpretation of the Library Bill of Rights
- Hate Speech and Hate Crime
The next Annual Assembly will be held on Thursday, August 15, 2019, location to be determined.