NEKLS is excited to invite public libraries to participate in “Geek the Library”, a professional marketing program to help public libraries in communities of all sizes increase public support for library funding. Think about the following facts in deciding whether you want to participate in this program:
- I encourage libraries that are really interested to do this. This is another opportunity for NEKLS libraries to be leaders in the Kansas library community. But I do not expect that all libraries will participate. If only 5 libraries sign up that is great. If 25 libraries want to be part of Geek the Library that is great too. This will be an intensive program to increase community support for your library that will last at least 18-24 months.
- NEKLS will be supporting Geek the Library in several ways.
- Using a grant from the State Library to purchase billboards in or near your community promoting Geek the Library.
- Providing a marketing workshop to help you prepare.
- Offer a one-time grant of up to $200 per library for local Geek the Library expenses.
- Even if your library does not participate you may get questions about Geek the Library from people who see the billboards, so be prepared to use those questions to tell your library’s story.
- Geek the Library will kick-off at the 2011 KLA conference. If you are interested in participating, or if you have any questions, contact me or Janie Rutherford at the State Library of Kansas.
Read more about it at: http://geekthelibrary.org/