Cross-posted from Earl Givens’ message to the KANLIB listserv:
From time to time, you will have patrons come into your library and request a Kansas Library Card to use with our online statewide resource services. It is important to know the appropriate procedure to accomplish this task. Knowing the proper steps to take to complete this task will reduce patron frustration with online statewide services. To create a Kansas Library Card for a patron please follow the instructions below.
- Go to the correct admin screen (http://www.kslc.org/admin.jsp).
- Login using unique library credentials. (If you are unsure of your credentials please contact me)
- Click on the link “Create a new KSLC account” (Note: if a patron has created a temporary account online then click on the link “Verify an Online Registration”)
- Type in the patron information (Note: do not leave the middle initial field blank)
- Click “Submit”
- Click “Yes, Create this Account Now”
As always, if you have any other questions do not hesitate to contact me.
Earl Givens, Jr.
Library Technology Consultant
State Library of Kansas
Email: egivens (at) kslib.info
Note: Examples of when a patron might need the Kansas Library Card:
- Checking out items from Overdrive
- Using the online resources if accessing while traveling outside Kansas
- Using the online resources when the patron’s location isn’t recognized as being inside Kansas by the geolocation software the online services use
If any libraries need the paper Kansas Library Cards to hand out to patrons, let the NEKLS office know. We have plenty on hand to give out to you.