NEKLS received a very generous professional collection donation last summer from Linwood Community Library; however, it sat idle for a year, waiting to be processed, and was just incorporated into the NEKLS professional collection in early July.
With so many new books, I took the opportunity to completely reorganize the collection into content areas, instead of straight Dewey; I could not have done this without a lot of help from Patti, Anna, and Carolyn.
The reorganization has made the collection much more browsable, more visually appealing (each book is labeled with a category), and better access to the materials through online categories. I’ve put together 33 lists in NExpress, where you can discover each “group” of books and place holds.
- Hot off the Press (HOT)
- Technology (TECH)
- Programming & Networking (PROG)
- Web Development & Design (WEB)
- Making, Creativity & Innovation (MAKE)
- Copyright (COPY)
- Intellectual Freedom (INTEL)
- RA-Genres & Book Lists (GENRE)
- RA-Graphic Novels (GN)
- RA-Reading & Book Discussions (READ)
- School Libraries (SCHOOL)
- Learning (LEARN)
- Childrens Services (CHILD)
- Storytime (STORY)
- Teen Services (TEEN)
- Adult Services (ADULT)
- Academic & Special Libraries (ACAD)
- Library Management (LM)
- Buildings (BUILD)
- Cataloging & Technical Services (CAT)
- Collection Management (COLL)
- Library Boards (BOARD)
- Library Theory & Careers (THEORY)
- Marketing & Displays (DISPLAY)
- Money (MONEY)
- People & Customer Service (PEOPLE)
- Planning & Evaluating (PLAN)
- Reference (REF)
- Technology in Libraries (LIBTECH)
- Big Ideas (BIG)
- Community & Partnerships (COM)
- Leadership (LEAD)
- General Nonfiction (GEN)
Here’s what the collection looks like now:
Adding shelf signage to label each category will be the last step. That will happen after we finish rearranging how the Ellison dies are stored (which will be much better, too!) and adjust shelving.
I hope you find this change useful, and get “more” out of the NEKLS professional collection, in-person, and online.